BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

February 11, 2010

Black History Month

In honor of black history month I will be posting a poem by one of my favorite african american poets, Langston Hughes.

Oppression

Now dreams
Are not available
To the dreamers,
Nor songs
To the singers.
In some lands
Dark night
And cold steel Prevail

But the dream
Will come back,
And the song
Break
Its jail.


I really like that one. It gives you that chill you know? Anyways, I will now post a video of my FAVOURTIE POETRY SLAM. Don't ask about my spelling, I'm on british a mindset! Anyways this is B. Yung, and if you don't know what a poetry slam is you need to learn what it is because it is amazing! A poetry slam is an emotional poetic performance. This types of pieces are similar to monologues, but with a poetic feel I guess. Anyways here he is: ((PS. I love love love the first minute of it, it's really strong and makes you feel guilty. Hehe.))


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIbx1e-O-Jo


Ok, basically B. Yung is in Brave New Voices, which is a poetry slam competition. He didn't win but his performance was phenomonal, and I LOVED IT WITH A BURNING FIERY PASSION. Don't judge me! XD

Anyways, till next week...



~Kathryn

0 comments: